Start Learning English in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What do you want to know? | Region differences

ShadeyLane
New in Town

What do you want to know? | Region differences

Postby ShadeyLane » July 6th, 2010 10:06 pm

I thought I would start a thread here. I know a decent amount of history, so I may be able to help answer some questions.

I will start off by discussing how the North and South differ. There is also a slight difference between the west coast and east coast, but I'll talk about that later. The North and South, like with any country, have almost a different subculture.

An example: when I lived on the South East, it was common to ask for Sweet Tea. This is just iced tea with sugar already added in. The south is notorious for sweet tea, though. People hardly drink it without sugar! Though, when we moved to where I live now, Washington (near Canada), you have to ask for ice tea. You add your own sugar. Out of habit my mother would ask for sweet tea. The waiters would always say, "Well, there's sugar next to you."

The South, or maybe the South East in particular, is very well known for being open and friendly to strangers. Some days I would walk through my small town and have strangers wave at me in a neighborly fashion. Where I live now, people are friendly but more guarded. The South is known for "small town hospitality."

Driving conditions seem nicer while near Seattle it's very common for people to cut you off! However, in areas like mine, there is a bigger pedestrian focus. More people like to walk because the traffic is much slower. Due to traffic here, I may drive 30 minutes for 11 miles, while 16 miles in my old state would take me about 20 minutes.

I hope that gives some cultural insight. I tried not to jump around in the subjects. As long as it makes you think of more questions, that is good. :)
If you need English help, feel free to PM me. I love helping!
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning English”