Start Learning English in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Firefox Add-On

salivia_baker
Been Around a Bit

Firefox Add-On

Postby salivia_baker » August 13th, 2009 11:40 pm

You can add a dictionary/spell checker for firefox for a lot of languages. When you type a word in an textarea like this one and it's wrong it'll underline that word. With right click on it gives you suggestions for the correct word. It's really helpful especially when you have problems remembering how to write words (like I do).

I have it for German and English (you can even choose which country, US, British or Australian English)

Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

You can also add a dictionary to your search engines. If you have one you often use just check back with firefox if that site is available as search engine.
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html

btw. if you dictionary can't translate a certain word because it's something very specific (a festival or food for example) you can also use wikipedia. Look for it in the original Language and then switch to the wiki in the languages you want to have the translation in.
Doesn't work every time but most of the times and it's especially helpful when your dictionary gives you 5 answers and you still don't know which one to use.

ShadeyLane
New in Town

Postby ShadeyLane » July 6th, 2010 9:50 pm

I use a spellchecker with Firefox. I'm not sure if it's within Firefox itself or not, but I can right-click and fix any mistakes I may have. Though the built in one does not catch everything.

Dictionary.com is good also. And just because we may speak English as a native does not mean we are perfect. Though my father has taught English in college, therefore I am very aware of my grammar!

These are good resources, Salivia.
If you need English help, feel free to PM me. I love helping!
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning English”