61%
English audio only
21%

Total votes: 28

salivia_baker
Been Around a Bit

Films and tv shows

Postby salivia_baker » September 25th, 2009 6:05 pm

Do you use films or tv shows to learn English?
Do you watch them with English Audio and subtitles in your own language? Or maybe even with English subtitles?

If so what do you watch? Did it help you? Where there problems you ran into?

I love to use tv show or films in order to improve my English. Almost every tv show or film I watch is with its original audio. If something is too hard to understand because of a dialect or something I sometimes try to find a transcript and read what that person said and try to understand it the next time. That way I can improve my listening skills as well.

stefaina87_93511
New in Town

Re: Films and tv shows

Postby stefaina87_93511 » February 5th, 2018 10:30 am

i like to watch films but mostly i see them not because i want to improve my language but because i love films. i am addicted about them. i think to look tv shows is better to learn english than to watch a film because when you are watching a film you are in the film and you don't have time to check what you don't understand. in the tv show is different because you have time and you can see and follow very careful and to check the new words. this is my opinion

Get 40% OFF
team.relationships
New in Town

Re: Films and tv shows

Postby team.relationships » February 6th, 2018 6:48 pm

Hello ,

Thank you for posting. I agree that a movie can be too short sometimes and often you are too distracted by the plot to focus on the subtitles and the nuances of meaning of words and phrases of the native language. I choose to use movies as passive learning opportunities most often and, like you said, use TV shows to actively practice, since the plot points are carried over many episodes and you have to make sure you understand everything really well. Unlike movies, TV shows can provide small hints over a long period of time; you have to pay more attention for longer in most cases. I like to do a bit of both to help with my listening and comprehension skills.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Patricia
Team EnglishClass101.com

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning English”